2007-03-26

I’m not in such a hurry to call you girlfriend

I'm not in such a hurry to call anyone girlfriend.

Because, if you know me, you know my past tendency to rush into things. As a friend once said, "You seem to fall, fast."

In my life, I've had a few relationships. While they've started, and ended, both for various reasons, some better than others, I still call most of them are successful.

Because I've been able to learn, and grow from them.

Which is why, in the last two relationships, I've been very slow and hesitant to move forward into making it a relationship. I guess I'd rather wait and see what internal and external pressures exist in the dynamic and make sure that getting involved is the right idea, the right woman, the right time, the right situation.

I'm not hesitant in life.

I live my life with a "Why the fuck not" attitude.

I'm not the guy to ask why. If you do, I'll turn that back on you. Because I'm the guy who will ask you "Why not?"

I like to do things. A lot of things:
  • If I want to go somewhere, I just take off and go.
  • A band I want to see? I'm there.
  • A movie? I'll drive to the theater I like, not the theater that's close.
  • An event I want to go to? Buh-bye. I'll see you there.
Because I just tend to do what I want when I want, with anyone that wants to go along for the ride.

I'm not hesitant in life.

However, I've learned to be hesitant in love.

I used to fall in love with any woman who gave me any kind of attention at all, like Joel Barrish. That's changed.

Like a lot of other things.

While we all have our rules, our standards, our wants, our likes, I think there are times where you have to chuck those out the window, reboot and start over. So now I'm taking the approach that whatever rules I've stood by in the past obviously haven't worked ... so why keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Isn't that the definition of insanity?

So yeah, I'm not in such a hurry to call anyone girlfriend.

And I'm not in such a hurry for anything, at all.

No comments: