2007-02-20

Unsent - My Take

I'm in a theft-of-intellectual-property mode.

So here's my take on a very weird Alanis Morissette song "Unsent" ... only my names have been changed so few will know who I'm talking about. Unless you're one of them. Then you know it's you.

Enjoy. Or don't. Your choice. But don't tell me haven't thought about it.


Unsent. The EB Version.

Dear Turtle-Girl,

I liked you a lot.
I realize you're in a relationship with someone right now.
And I respect that.

I would like you to know that if you're ever single in the future,
And want to come visit me in Ohio.
I would be open to spending time with you
And finding out how old you were
When you wrote your first song.


Dear Lawyer-Girl,

I liked you too much.
I used to be attracted to girls who would lie to me
And think solely about themselves.

You were plenty self-destructive for my taste at the time.
I used to say the more tragic the better.
The truth is whenever I think of the early 90's
Your face comes up with a vengeance like it was yesterday.


Dear Hockey Girl,

I love you muchly.
You've been nothing but open hearted and emotionally available
And supportive and nurturing and consummately there for me.

I kept drawing you in and pushing you away.
I remember how beautiful it was to fall asleep in your arms
And cry in front of you for the first time.

You were the best platform from which to jump beyond myself.
What was wrong with me?

(BTW, Alanis has often said that last line is an internally reflective question, not a directed one. Same here.)



Dear DunkinDonuts Girl,

You rocked my world.

You had a charismatic way about you with people
And you got me seriously thinking about spirituality.

You wouldn't let me get away with kicking me own ass.
But I never really feel relaxed around you,
Or looked how far our love could go.

And that stopped us from going any further than we might have.
And it's kinda too bad because we could've had much more fun.


Dear Book-Girl,

We did so much.

I realize we won't be able to talk for some time.
And I understand that as I do you.

The long distance thing was the hardest and we did as well as we could.
We were together during a very tumultuous time in our lives.

I will always have your back and be curious about you.
About your career, your whereabouts.

No comments: