2007-02-28

Song of the Day

It never fails - I manage to hit at least two commercial breaks on Bob & Tom in the morning, so I've gotten pretty good at finding some good music to listen to ... on the radio ... during those breaks. Yeah, sometimes it's country, sometimes it's the Valley's Real Rock (who claims not to play dinosaur rock yet can't EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MORNING plays some David Lee Roth-era Van Halen. Um, dudes, that's sooooo 70's. Really. Dinosaur.), sometimes it's pop.

And every so often, I find something that makes me say "DAMN, how did I miss this?"

Welcome to today's DAMN song of the day. I liked it so much I incorporated it into my blog title!


"Breathe (2 a.m.)" by Anna Nalick.

Two AM and she calls me 'cause I'm still awake,
"Can you help me unravel my latest mistake?,
I don't love him. Winter just wasn't my season"
Yeah we walk through the doors, so accusing their eyes
Like they have any right at all to criticize,
Hypocrites. You're all here for the very same reason

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button, girl.
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

May he turn 21 on the base at Fort Bliss
"Just a day" he said down to the flask in his fist,
"Ain't been sober, since maybe October of last year."
Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while,
But, my God, it's so beautiful when the boy smiles,
Wanna hold him. Maybe I'll just sing about it.

Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table.
No one can find the rewind button, boys,
So cradle your head in your hands,
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around.

Two AM and I'm still awake, writing a song
If I get it all down on paper, it's no longer inside of me,
Threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to

But you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button now
Sing it if you understand.
and breathe, just breathe
Oh breathe, just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe.

No comments: