2007-01-29

Well, now it makes sense

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 ... 1:30 p.m. ... Well, now it makes sense.

Was sitting in my doctor's office about 11:00, she was wondering why I've had such a serious problem the past year or so with sinus infections and other normally minor illnesses hitting me harder than they hit most people.

In fact, a friend said to me, "You don't get sick often, but when you do, you're really sick. That scares me. I'm glad I'm not your girlfriend. I'd be worried to death about you."

So anyway, my doctor is poking around in my nose, and my ears and trying to see how bad this thing is and start suggesting we do things other than the normal antibiotic for 10 days, because the bugs tend to get resistant to the treatment. Ugh. I'm hoping she doesn't recommend a sinus aspiration. Because that sucks, literally and figuratively. In the end, I had both - the antibiotics and the aspiration. If you've never had a sinus aspiration - hope you never need one. Imagine being in a dentists office - ya know that thing that sucks the spit out of your mouth? Put that up your nose into a sinus cavity. Seems like a great idea to get rid of all the nastiness, right? Wrong.

First - it's a tube, up your nose, poking around your face between soft tissue and bone.

Second - when they turn it on and it sucks all the stuff out of you it's loud.

Third - ya know how sometimes when your sinuses finally drain on their own you get a bit dizzy when the dam breaks (so to speak)? Imagine that happening in about a second - instant pressure change in sinus cavity = pain, dizziness and disorientation for hours.

But, yeah, I needed it. Turns out it this one was pretty freakin' bad.

How bad? Well, on Friday I woke up about 2:30 p.m. and realized it was 2:30 p.m. and realized I was home, in bed. I grab the phone, I call my boss to apologize for not coming to work or calling, he said, "Dude, you were here, I sent you home." It was that bad.

So why do I get sicker than most?

Turns out my white blood cell count is a bit lower than normal.

Turns out that's a normal after-effect of the gastric-bypass surgery. The surgeon said it's something they're tracking. They don't know why, they don't know what causes it, but between 24 and 48 months, the white blood cell count dips in surgery patients.

Well, now it makes sense.

No comments: