2007-01-17

Dinosaurs aren't extinct.

They just happen to run music labels and music-industry trade groups - like the RIAA and the International Federation of the Phonoographic Institute.

In this article ... the IFPI says it's time to start suing ISP's who allow music piracy.

Oh, since suing your customers - those who want electronic music - was so successful.

Genius, boys, genius.

If I was an ISP that was sued by this group, the first thing I'd do is block access to the labels, their related artists and all legal ways to purchase their music.

Seriously.

Hey guys - I have an idea - how about you look at what music fans want:
  • First - good music
  • access to all the albums
  • access to all the songs
  • the ability to purchase individual songs
  • not for 99 cents each - make them cheaper
  • offer live and exclusive tracks
  • hell, offer whole concerts and other bonus material - videos, lyrics, etc.
  • albums in advance of the street date (no delay to complete the artwork, pressing, printing, packaging, and distribution)
  • and the biggie - MP3 files that have no Digital Rights Management (DRM).

Oh, wait, someone's already done all of that.

eMusic.

And who's the second largest online seller of legal digital music behind innovator iTunes?

eMusic.

Wow. Guess that whole listening to what your customers want, and then delivering that, still works.

Anyone in label-land listening?

Didn't think so.

(FOR THE RECORD - I am currently not a subscriber to eMusic. I was a subscriber for more than a year. If I was a subscriber, the link would be a referral code. It's not. It's merely to the eMusic home page. I gain nothing from you clicking, or joining.

eMusic is not paying me to write this. I wish they would though. I'm one of their biggest fans. And they have cool shit that music snobs like me like. Check them out.)

No comments: