2006-04-16

Random Thoughts #5

Drivers of Ohio - please re-read your Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws ... and while we're at it, the Responsible Driver Handbook and try to understand the whole "Assured Clear Distance" section that basically says you're required to keep a safe distance between you and objects in front of you.

When I can't see your bumper in my rear-view miror, and we're going about 70 miles an hour, you're waaaaaaaay too fucking close.

And I quote Section 12603 of the State of Ohio General Code:

"Sec. 4511.21. (A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar at a speed greater or less than is reasonable or proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface, and width of the street or highway and any other conditions, and no person shall drive any motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar in and upon any street or highway at a greater speed than will permit the person to bring it to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead."

In other words, if you are driving behind a car or a truck, you must be able to stop if that car or truck stops.

Good rule of thumb here ... if you can read the licence plate of the car in front of you, you're too close. Back the fuck up.
I love Panera. I eat there many times a week because their salads are good, their bread is good, their coffee is good. But they're smart, too. Peanut butter & jelly on the menu for kids who won't eat anything else. Genius.

Like my 8-year-old who hated the Pizza Hut express pizza because "it tasted funny" and wasn't going to eat it.


I'm getting used to the haircut. Still not all that happy with it, but it works.
My ex-wife is getting remarried. People think my happiness for her us unnatural. Then again, the fact that we get along well, and never devolved into the stupidity that a lot of divorcing/divorced people get into I'm sure has a lot to do with it. I'm happy for her. The guy she's marrying is exactly what she wanted and I wasn't. That's not a knock on me at all ... just an honest look at things.

What's even better is when I tell people our entire divorce cost about $350. We talked to a lawyer, he said he could only represent one of us. We told him what we wanted, he drew up the paperwork, we signed, he filed, case closed.

I wish them nothing but the best. If people can't understand that, they need to take a look at their relationships and analyze, not mine.


Busy week coming up ... studying for another certification test, then Kara and I are taking off on another adventure: We start on Thursday night in Columbus with Drew Hastings (the best comic, ever) ... with the lovely and probably still hung-over Lauren.

Friday morning Kara and I take off in Icey for our first out-of-state adventure in the new car as we drive across Pennsylvania to Sayreville, New Jersey to see Wilco on Friday.

We then wake up Saturday morning and head back into Pennsylvania, back across the state to Pittsburgh to see the lovely and talented and red-haired Kathleen Edwards, a Canadian singer-songwriter, in Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Sunday we're resting. Really. She's off on Monday, I start training on Monday in Dublin (Ohio) for some server hardware stuff that I wanted to get done.

And I start school on Tuesday. And Wednesday Kara & I are heading up to Cleveland to see Watershed.

And Saturday (now we're into the 28th) I have to work, but Saturday night is the CD Release Party for The Receiver at Skully's. Come on out and support Casey & Jesse and the other bands that are playing.


No, we don't sleep much. Really.


And speaking of good bands you should see when they're in town, you know I love me some Swig Tooth and X-Rated Cowboys and Rockhouse ... well, Mark Nye, the bassist on all three and vocalist for Rockhouse is heading east to Brooklyn. So get out to see him before he goes. Check his calendar or mine for dates, times and places. Because you will miss him when he's gone.

No comments: