2006-01-12

Getting Healthy Several Ways

Well, not sure what exactly was wrong with me, but about 10 p.m. it left.

I got up after watching Lost on Wednesday, realized that

  • I could breathe
  • I wasn't coughing
  • I didn't feel light-headed and weak
  • I didn't feel like I was going to vomit
  • I actually felt good for the first time in about a week.
So I did what anyone else would do ... looked around and said, "Damn, this place is a mess" and cleaned ... and did laundry ... and when all that was done I started reading the most amazing book: The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel - A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus

This book was recommended to me by Kerry after I told her I was less of a doubter and starting to think that maybe I've just been missing the big picture. And as someone who's known me for going on 10 years (hey, Friday would have been our 10th Anniversary ... yeah, I remember our first date was a Friday the 13th of January, 1996, and we went to see "Se7en" (bad first date movie, granted) and then went out again the next night to Chi-Chi's, drank sangria because you didn't drink beer [then] and went across the street to Damon's to play Music Trivia ... which we lost on a Hall and Oates question.. Yeah, I'm like Rainman. I'm an excellent driver. But Hall & F'n Oates? Gah!)


Wait, where were we? Oh yeah,
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel and why she recommended it to me. Because she knows that a book written by a former journalist who flies cross country to interview a dozen experts with doctorates from schools like Cambridge, Princeton, and the Brandeis who are recognized authorities in their own fields, then peppers them with questions like:

  • How reliable is the New Testament?
  • Does evidence exist for Jesus outside of the Bible?
  • Is there any reason to believe the resurrection was an actual event?
would resonate with me in the areas that we journalists who lived on the "prove it or shove it" mentality would understand.

Yeah ... the perfect book for me.

How do I know this so far? In the introduction, Strobel says the following:
"For much of my life I was a skeptic. In fact, I considered myself an atheist. To me, there was far too much evidence that God was merely a product of wishful thinking, of ancient mythology, of primitive superstition." and "But that's all I had every really given the evidence: a cursory look. I had read just enough philosophy and history to find support for my skepticism - a fact here, a scientific theory there, a pithy quote, a clever argument. Sure, I could see some gaps and inconsistencies, but I had a strong motivation to ignore them ... "

Um, hello? Did I write both of those?

I could have ... that was exactly the way I felt about the subject, as well.

As he sums up the introduction: "As far as I was concerned, the case was closed. There was enough proof for me to rest easy with the conclusion that the divinity of Jesus was nothing more than the fanciful invention of superstitious people. "Or so I thought."

Yeah, I hear ya, Mr. Strobel.

I was the same way ... or so I thought ... until a seeming innocent conversation with Kara about why she was going to Grad School got my brain thinking (read the blog entitled something like me asking to borrow a Cray with a cerebral interface for more details).


Strobel started his journey after his wife converted in 1979. He was worried about her not being fun anymore, but found he was wrong, and was surprised - even fascinated - by the fundamental changes in her character, her integrity and her personal confidence, and that led him on the path to find out why. As he says, he launched an all-out investigation into the facts surrounding the case for Christianity.
And as the former legal affairs editor for the Chicago Tribune, he turned his law-school education and his journalism degree loose, and looked at numerous categories of proof. So far I'm 30 pages in. I'm fascinated by this book.

Yeah, I checked it out from the library, but I have the feeling that by the end of the week, I'll own this one.


Wait, where were we?


Oh, yeah, my health ... Much improved ... physically ... and on the way spiritually.

Thanks for asking!

No comments: