However, Sen. Barack Obama has finally gotten my attention with this:
For those of you who subscribe to the TLDR (too long, didn't read) lemme summarize:
- Our planet is in peril. Our health care system is broken, our economy is out of balance, our education system fails too many of our children, and our retirement system is in tatters.
- At this defining moment, we cannot wait any longer for universal health care.
- We cannot wait to fix our schools.
- We cannot wait for good jobs, and living wages, and pensions we can count on.
- We cannot wait to halt global warming, and we cannot wait to end this war in Iraq.
- The real gamble in this election is playing the same Washington game with the same Washington players and expecting a different result. And that’s a risk we can’t take. Not this year. Not when the stakes are this high.
- In this election, it is time to turn the page.
- I walked away from a job on Wall Street to bring job training to the jobless and after-school programs to kids on the streets of Chicago.
- I turned down the big-money law firms to win justice for the powerless as a civil rights lawyer.
- I took on the lobbyists in Illinois and brought Democrats and Republicans together to expand health care to 150,000 people and pass the first major campaign finance reform in 25 years; and I did the same thing in Washington when we passed the toughest lobbying reform since Watergate.
- I’m the only candidate in this race who hasn’t just talked about taking power away from lobbyists, I’ve actually done it. So if you want to know what kind of choices we’ll make as president, you should take a look at the choices we made when we had the chance to bring about change that wasn’t easy or convenient.
- For the first time in a long time, we have the chance to build a new majority of not just Democrats, but independents and Republicans who’ve lost faith in their Washington leaders but want to believe again — who desperately want something new.
- I know that when the American people believe in something, it happens.
- If you believe, then we can tell the lobbyists that their days of setting the agenda in Washington are over.
- If you believe, then we can stop making promises to America’s workers and start delivering — jobs that pay, health care that’s affordable, pensions you can count on, and a tax cut for working Americans instead of the companies who send their jobs overseas.
- If you believe, we can offer a world-class education to every child, and pay our teachers more, and make college dreams a reality for every American.
- If you believe, we can save this planet and end our dependence on foreign oil.
- If you believe, we can end this war, close Guantanamo, restore our standing, renew our diplomacy and once again respect the Constitution of the United States of America.
Okay. I believe.