2006-10-26

I am ... (Random Thoughts)

I am …

… in pain

… a lot of pain

I’m in pain because in typical Eric style, I’m injured.

I pulled a muscle in my back while moving boxes on Tuesday.

It’s the muscle behind my shoulder blade that runs up into my neck.

No matter how I move – in what ever direction I choose – I hurt.

The kind of pain that momentarily takes away your breath and makes you then recover it with shallow, slow, careful breaths.

Then I move again and it starts over.

The worst part is I can’t even sleep because I’m hurting.

And working? Well, I’m here … but I’m not sure how much help I’m going to be. I have to sit here and hang out on a conference call to discuss th same issues we discussed for 7.5 hours yesterday.

Speaking of the new job …

I am …

… the dumbest guy in the room.

I’ve been that guy before, usually in college-level math classes.

Like Statistics.

This time, however, it’s different. I knew going into this job I’d be that guy.. And I told myself I’d be okay with that, because it is a huge leap over what I’ve been doing … anyone will, tell you that going from managing 750+ desktops to managing 750+ servers is like the difference between riding a bicycle and piloting a jet fighter. A desktop crashes and burns, you pick it up, brush off the gravel, straighten out the front wheel (or other hardware problems) and you’re back on your bicycle.

A server crashes and burns and there’s an accident-investigation board is formed, witnesses are interviewed, solutions and preventative measures are implemented.

I’m an excellent bicyclist. And while I’ve been HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick, or, basically, piloting a jet fighter for you non-Air Force people) … to say I’ve been in control of a jet fighter is a total lie.

Much the same with the desktop/server environment … I’ve done all I can do with the desktop environment … so now I’m learning to fly.

If I crash and burn, I’ll try to avoid any populated areas.

Lord knows I wouldn’t be in much more pain.

No comments: